PAGES

Wednesday 28 September 2011

WEST SPACE 2011 - A FUNDRAISING EXHIBITION

West Space
       Leading Melbourne artist-run gallery West Space launched its annual fundraising exhibition, West Space 2011, last Tuesday and I thought I'd pop in before it ended on Sunday to check out what all the fuss was about.
       However unrelated to tailoring, the works (from more than 120 of Australia’s foremost young and mid-career artists) left quite an impression on me. It's interesting how artworks and illustrations can open your eyes up to a myriad of design possibilities. Everything from shapes, silhouettes and colour. The piece shown here to the left was a relatively large piece by Ferretti Basket which I really liked. It's inspired me not only with this studio, but with transfer printing in Decorative Techniques to embrace this sort of mismatched pattern.
       The exhibition was really nicely set out, and West Space's new Bourke Street premises really did it a lot of justice. It was just a shame it didn't run for longer. But I'll definitely be heading out to art exhibitions around Melbourne more often to supplement my designs.



Clementine Day

No comments:

Post a Comment