PAGES

Wednesday 14 September 2011

VICKI THANIOTIS



This semester I have chosen to investigate a specific period in tailoring as the stimulus for my own design exploration. I am particularly interested in Regency London dandyism (1788-1830), whereby menswear took on a much more sober and restrained appearance, as ‘cut’ become a more important indicator of quality. As the cut-away coat was the iconic garment for this period, it will become the focal point for my collection and further research. My reinterpretation of this garment into a women’s jacket, will also involve research into other such garments in close association; in particular the cravat and the high collared shirt. My curiosity with these garments is the way they were used along side the coat to frame the face with shape, and create a focal area with contrast fabric. Drawing attention to the face I believe places the individual, not the wearer into the foreground. Within my own tailored jacket design, I wish to merge the effects of the three garments into the one garment. I will experiment with the use of contrasting fabrics and a more abstract approach to shape and line. In doing so I hope to arrive at a resolution which possesses a less literal interpretation. 


No comments:

Post a Comment