PAGES

Wednesday 14 September 2011

LEEA MENKHORST

The design concept I have chosen to develop through to a finished garment references my interest and exploration of a 1950’s style silhouette. Studio exercises in silhouettes and adding/changing details also influenced my design process.

I began my design process working with the concept of pleating but further visual research led to my interest moving to combining feminine elements with the more rigid lines of the tailored jacket. I am exploring the use of techniques including appliqué, beading and lighter overlaid fabrics to bring softness to the tailored garment. The interplay between tailored lines and feminine form represented an area of tension that I wanted to explore.
As well as consciously incorporating feminine elements such as embellishments and design aspects to my design aesthetic for tailoring, I have further explored the area of interplay between soft and hard by exaggerating the silhouette, bringing an architectural quality to the tailoring of the garment.

No comments:

Post a Comment