PAGES

Wednesday 14 September 2011

MARCO AGOSTA


Much of my design influence comes from poetry and philosophy. I think this is closely related to an emotional state or feeling at the time. I have taken inspiration from the English poet, philosopher and artist William Blake. Interweaving idiosyncratic views, with philosophical and mythical undercurrents, I have used one his works ‘Satan In His Original Glory’(1803) as the main vehicle for my design inspiration. My theme invokes the play-on with dualities; light and dark, good and evil, life and death. In every human being there is a light and dark side. Both our physical and spiritual bodies have the ability to either ascend or descend.

Part of the notion of these dualities is closely related to the relationship between men’s tailoring and the way it can be translated into women’s tailoring. When I think of tailoring or clothing, the first thing that comes to mind is the association that the garment has with the physical body, but in this case, I am also looking at the spiritual body and the way it relates. Acting like a second skin; how do we represent the underlying emotions through a garment? Using this as the crux of my exploration in the construction, I want to convey the notion of wrapping or enveloping the body. Keeping the garment close to the body as a reference to a breathing-in motion of holding in our emotions, virtues and vices.

Referencing historical tailoring; Part of my designs feature silhouettes and shapes from the romantic period in history, invoking the neo-gothic men’s and woman’s clothing of the mid nineteenth century.

I want to use wool crepe in the design, as crepe was originally used in most mourning outfits. Its lifeless, lustreless surface achieves the desired effect of eliminating reflection. Thus giving one the look of being between life and death.


No comments:

Post a Comment