PAGES

Wednesday 14 September 2011

ELLA MCILVENA



Ok, so im going to try and explain my theme/inspiration/design with out sounding like a complete cheesepuff, so ‘ere goes.
After reading Anne Hollander’s ‘Sex In Suits’, I had a sex dream, (yes, I am being completely honesty) but I shan’t bore you with the details.   
  This dream started off my thought process about a suit that ultimately exposed the body rather than conceal it. I began researching into different eras of fashion and was most intrigued by the 1960-1970’s sexual revolution. The way men and women alike were free to explore sexuality and their bodies without shame or embarrassment. Where nudity was accepted and society was carefree.
  I wanted to use some of the sex symbols or ‘it-girls’ if you will, of the time to influence and inspire my designs throughout the folio process. Bianca Jagger and Grace Jones are just two of the women I have chosen to use. Their powerful, sexy, carefree attitude is something many women to aspire to and is something extremely appealing to me when creating a design such as my own.


  I have chosen to create a suit jacket that takes influence from all of the above, to expose the body through cut out vertical vents at the breasts and back to symbolise the nudity and sex appeal of a women, and a strong masculine silhouette with structured shoulders to represent the power and strength each women possess. I shall ultimately create a power suit for the modern woman incorporating 1970’s style cuts and tailoring with a contrast of ‘a bit of nipple’.

No comments:

Post a Comment