PAGES

Wednesday 14 September 2011

CLEMENTINE DAY

In general I'm influenced by Japanese design, with an undying love for Yohji, Junya, Rei (and the list goes on). Their design philosophies resonate with me and their aesthetic is one that I associate myself closely with.



YOHJI YAMAMOTO: THIS IS MY DREAM from Huge Conglomerate on Vimeo.


This semester I've been exploring the notion of 'la garconne', and in turn have taken inspiration from the Roaring Twenties 'Jazz Age' that gave us the 'Flapper'. Exploring this era, my research saw me reading Germaine Greer novels, Post-War literature, countless Coco Chanel and Japanese fashion books to look into this idea of 'boyish' dressing for women. A lean towards androgynous.
In my designs, I've been aiming to develop a series that explores the 'boy'-like dressing of women. Taking reference from traditional boyish silhouettes and tailoring techniques (that are often slightly altered versions of that for men) and mixing them with a japanese point of view.
Developing my final design has been a bit of a rollercoaster. I've decided to return to a symmetrical aesthetic because I was finding my past design a bit to older 'masculine' rather than prepubescent boy.
To the left is an image of a potential design solution.

No comments:

Post a Comment